Date & Time: Call Type:
10-02 15:43 Outside Fire-Field,Gras s,Woods
10-02 13:41 If you receive a busy calling
07-28 13:05 Seizure
07-16 19:14 Falls - Unknown
07-16 17:24 Chest Pains
View All
 
 
 

Carlisle Fire Company 615 NW Front St

PO Box 292 Milford, De 19963
Phone: (302)422-8001
Fax: (302)422-2146
Webmaster@carlisle42.com

 
 
 

This Day in Carlisle History

Monday, January 26, 2015 

On this date in 1891 an alarm of fire in the Kramlich Stables connected with the Central Hotel, we're consumed by fire, the building was 40 x 75 feet with high foundations of brick and covered by a slate roof. It was the largest and handsomest hotel stable on this peninsula and had every convenience for the comfort of animals. Water was handy and abundant, the entire building lighted with electric light.

Built  three years prior at a cost of $2,265 and was insured for $1,800. The fire’s origin is not positively known; but it was first discovered by J.W. Bennett, of Milford Neck and the hostler at about 9 o'clock. Mr. Bennett had put his mules up into the stables, and was hitching them to his wagon about centre of the building under the dome. His and the hostler's attention was attracted by a peculiar noise in the large loft, which sounded like something snapping, and while they looked the whole interior was lighted with a red glare, and the building was doomed. The hostler was positive that no one had been in the stables as he had had them locked from 7 until 9 o'clock, when he went after Mr. Bennett's mules; when he turned the electric light on. It is supposed that the wire burned through and caused the cotton insulator to ignite and set fire to the combustible materials.

 The theory finds credence because the fire was in the centre of the building, and in close proximity to the electric wires. Good fortune again saved Milford from a terrible conflagration. As the large billows of flames licked up the contents of the stable, they roared and seethed under the heavy slate roof upheld by heavy timbers which stood until the greatest danger had passed by the consuming of the light wood work, fodder and hay. That slate roof saved the business part of North Milford. But our citizens worked as we never saw them work before and to those men who held the small hose against the end of the Central Hotel and fought the flames as they steadily ate their way up the large ice house between the burning stable and hotel, a special honor is due. One man could not do the work alone, and the people saw that it took prompt work and plenty of water to save Milford and they did it. Fortunately the tide was high and the drenching rain and snow had made the old puck roofs a snobby mess.

At one time Steward's large three and a half story frame store and dwelling on Front Street was on fire in two places; also the Davis store houses on Walnut Street also Mrs. Carlisle's stable but by the aid of the ladders and plenty of water thrown from buckets they were saved. Had either of the small fires got started, the loss would have been near $100,000 than the amount it is, $3,200.
Enough property burned up in Milford on Monday night to have paid the interest on a water system for Milford covering a period of two years; and we hope the Town Council will hurry up that special election for water works.

Source: Milford Chronicle





   
 

Carlisle Welcomes New Members

Wednesday, January 14, 2015 

The Officers and Members of the Carlisle Fire Company take this opportunity to welcome, Kyle Maloney and Tyler Pennington into our Department. Kyle will be serving as a Junior Member and Tyler will begin serving as an apprentice firefighter. Both young men continue their family legacy as Carlisle Volunteers.

 

Congratulations and the best of luck with your careers in Carlisle.




     

 

This Day in Carlisle History

Wednesday, January 14, 2015  On this date in 1973 a house fire on Northwest Fourth Street occurred during Super Bowl Sunday.


Source: Milford Chronicle


Photos: Archives


   
 

This Day in Carlisle History

Saturday, January 10, 2015  On this date in 1903, Milford seems to have a “fire craze" lately, as there have been four alarms of fire given in the last two weeks. The last occurred Saturday afternoon in the room above the office occupied by Adams Express Company on North Walnut Street. Smoke was seen issuing from the eaves of the building and the Fire Company was promptly on the scene, but it only required a few buckets of water to quench the fire.



Source: Milford Chronicle



   
 

2015 Carlisle Line Officer Staff

Friday, January 9, 2015  The 2015 Line Officers under the Direction of Fire Chief Duane Fox. Seated pictured left to right: 1st Asst. Chief Justin Konesey, Fire Chief Duane Fox, Deputy Chief J.R. Griffith; Standing: Fire Captain Ryan Knowles, Fire Captain Billy Caiola, 3rd Asst. Chief Brennon Fountain, 2nd Asst. Chief Shawn Hinton, Fire Captain Rick Deputy, Safety Officer John McKenzie. Not pictured Fire Lt. Kevin Donovan

   
 

2015 Carlisle Administration Board of Directors

Friday, January 9, 2015  The Carlisle Fire Company 2015 Board of Directors were sworn in last night to hold their respective offices for the 2015 year. A special thank you to Delaware State Fire Chief's Association President Steve Maichle for swearing in the Board Members. Pictured seating Left to Right: Fire Chief Duane Fox, President Glenn Gillespie, Vice President Ryan Knowles; Standing: Director 2 Shawn Hinton, Fire Recorder Lester Guyer, Ambulance Captain Kevin Donovan, Chief Engineer Dorian Klaus, Building Superintendent Joe Morris Sr., Secretary Austin Gardner-Bowler. Not Pictured, Treasurer Chuck Coverdale, Director 1 Wayne B. Whitney, Director 3 Harry Makhtany. Best of luck this year to all.

   
 

This Day in Carlisle History

Thursday, January 8, 2015 

On this date in 2004 approximately 100 firemen from at least a dozen fire companies including  Carlisle converged to assist the Ellendale Fire Company on a four story structure fire at Clendaniels Granary in Lincoln. Damages to the 53 year old oak timber frame building amounted to $100,000.

Source: Delaware Archives




   
 

Early Morning Rollover Sends One To Hospital

Wednesday, January 7, 2015  At 0339hrs, the Carlisle Fire Company was dispatched to a reported MVC unknown in the 8000 block of Shawnee Rd.  Command 42 responded with 42-21, Fire Captain Ryan Knowles, and was advised by Kent Center of a single vehicle into the woods.  Ambulance A-42 staffed by career personnel arrived on scene to find the vehicle overturned into the woods, locating one patient that had self extricated himself.  Command 42 arrived on scene to assess the scene while the patient was preparing for transport to MMH.  Rescue 42 under the command of 42-15 Fire Chief Duane Fox was advised upon arrival to safety secure the vehicle that was overturned.  Engine 42-5 arrived on scene under the command of 42-19, Asst. Chief Brennon Fountain, and was returned by Command 42 after a short period.  Command 42 placed the incident under control at 0403hrs clearing units briefly after.


Units responding:  Rescue 42, Engine 42-5, Ambulance 42, Command 42, Traffic Control 42 & Additional 42 Fire Police, Delaware State Police.


     

 

This Day in Carlisle History

Wednesday, January 7, 2015 

On this date in 1929 is recognized as the only Line of Duty Death the Carlisle Fire Company has endured. Although we are limited in the details, Minos Scott, a blacksmith by trade died from injuries while engaged in Fire Company activities. Fire Company lore indicates his injuries resulted responding to a fire while riding on the side board of Truck 2. The accident occurred sometime during the month of December 1928 rounding the curve on the Milford to Slaughter Beach Road now referred to as Cedar Beach Road. Minos was layed to rest by members of the Carlisle Fire Company on January 10, 1929 in the Odd Fellows Cemetery in Milford.




   
 

This Day in Carlisle History

Monday, January 5, 2015  On this date in 1888 a narrow escape from conflagration was visited upon the residence of Geo. F. Shockley, the cause was a defective flue and the danger was so imminent that the goods were being rapidly removed from the house before the fire was subdued. The damage resulting was slight. The alarm was sounded by the shipyard bell, but so vigorous were the effects of the ringer that the rope was broken at the third peal of the bell. This is another call to the property owners of Milford to secure better protection before it is too late.

Source: Milford Chronicle




   
 
 
 

Search for news stories :

Select Year Select Month
Select Category Enter Keyword