Date & Time: Call Type:
10-02 15:43 Outside Fire-Field,Gras s,Woods
10-02 13:41 If you receive a busy calling
07-28 13:05 Seizure
07-16 19:14 Falls - Unknown
07-16 17:24 Chest Pains
View All
 
 
 

Carlisle Fire Company 615 NW Front St

PO Box 292 Milford, De 19963
Phone: (302)422-8001
Fax: (302)422-2146
Webmaster@carlisle42.com

 
 
 

Carlisle Ladies Hold Beef and Dumpling Dinner

Saturday, November 8, 2014 


   
 

Carlisle Holds Open House

Sunday, October 12, 2014  Story to follow:


     

 

Carlisle Members Dedicate Five Pieces In Honor Of Members

Sunday, October 12, 2014  Story to Follow:


     

 

This Day in Carlisle History

Monday, October 6, 2014  On this date October 6, 1918 Army Lt. Paris T. Carlisle, IV, a decorated and respected soldier, was killed in action while serving his Country during World War I. Lt. Carlisle was killed near the "Meuse River" in France. Born in 1893, was a Milford resident, and became a member of the Milford Fire Company on October 7, 1915. Although his service with the company was brief, the impressions he left with his fellow comrades were nonetheless strong. We are limited in the details of his background, it is possible to get a glimpse as to what the man was like, by reading the minutes of the December 5, 1918 regular meeting.

 

“Whereas the members of the Milford Fire Company have learned with deep sorrow of the death of their member Paris T. Carlisle IV on the battle fields of France on October 6, 1918. Therefore be it resolved that the Milford Fire Company desires to testify to its sincere regard to his sterling qualities as a man and to express its deep appreciation of his valued services to this company his association with which dated from October 7, 1915 to October 6, 1918. During this time he held the offices of Vice President, Recording Secretary and First Assistant Engineer, respectively. In the performance of all duties pertaining to the offices which he held with the Milford Fire Company he showed at all times, an unfailing devotion and deep interest in the Company welfare. His loss is deeply felt by all his fellow members, who had looked with pleasurable anticipation to the time when he should return and take up his old duties.”

 

At the same meeting:

 

“President Varney in a few well chosen remarks from the floor suggested the name of the Milford Fire Company be changed to that of “The Carlisle Hose Company” in commemoration of Paris T. Carlisle. Mr. James Pierce made a motion that the name be changed. Mr. Lindale seconded the motion. Mr. Holzmueller asked permission to amend the motion to read “The Carlisle Fire Company.” Motion carried unanimously. Secretary instructed to take up matter with Secretary of State.

   
 

This Day in Carlisle History

Tuesday, September 30, 2014  On this date in 1883, about half past two Sunday morning a fire that is thought to have been of incendiary origin broke out in the sheds of the James W. Abbott & Co's., ship yard and consumed the same with contents. In the roof of this shed was stored the patterns and ship moulds of the company and amount these fire was kindled. In response to the alarm of fire, a large portion of the citizens of the town repaired to the yards and saved the vessel on the stocks, but we're unable to save the shed or any of its contents. James W. Abbott & Co. lost about $400 in timber and patterns; J. Henderson foreman, lost chest of tools valued at $35; Edward Hall, John Eddington, J. Deputy, Samuel Clendaniel and Nathan Hickman each lost a chest of tools. There was no insurance.

Source: Milford Chronicle


   
 

This Day in Carlisle History

Sunday, September 28, 2014 

On this day in 1904, at the launching of the four masted schooner “Charles J. Dumas” at the Abbott’s Shipyard on Mispillion Street between Marshall Street and Columbia Avenue. The scaffolding that many on lookers had occupied collapsed killing a nine year old boy and injuring 10 other people.




Source: Milford Chronicle





   
 

This Day in Carlisle History

Wednesday, September 10, 2014 

On this day in 1962, a fire of unknown origin destroyed the Acme Supermarket on South East Front Street east of South Washington Street. Damage estimates totaled between $200,000.00 and 250,000.00. The blaze began about 5:00 pm and was brought under control shortly after 7:00 pm. Immediate evacuation of the building prevented any injuries among the store’s customers, but Houston fireman, Ralph Wilson suffered a cut hand and was treated at Milford Memorial Hospital. Acme manager Robert Wink was alerted by customers and employees that the roof and shed used for trash disposal were on fire. Flames spread to two adjoining businesses, the “Chatterbox and a laundry. Although there was smoke and water damage, the fire damage was confined to the roofs of these two businesses.

 

Source: Milford Chronicle




   
 

This Day in Carlisle History

Sunday, September 7, 2014 

On this date in 1935 the remnants of the Great Labor Day Hurricane deluged Milford with a record 10 inches of rain on that day. Many locations throughout downtown were severely impacted from flooding. A major contributor to the flooding throughout downtown was the torrent of rain that fell resulting in the eventual failure of the Maple Avenue dam. Members of Carlisle along with many citizen volunteers work desperately to save the Maple Avenue dam however, tremendous water pressure resulted in the dam collapsing adding to the flood waters that occurred during the storm. The failure of the Maple Avenue dam resulted in the Caulk Company offices and manufacturing plants to flood two floors of their facilities.  A combination of rainfall and the Maple Avenue dam failing resulted in high waters throughout downtown and forcing the Fire Company to abandon the firehouse and relocating equipment until the waters subsided. Accounts from the Milford Chronicle indicated Carlisle responding to numerous calls for assistance throughout the event.


Source: Milford Chronicle



     

 

This Day in Carlisle History

Sunday, September 7, 2014 

On this date in 1888 a farmhouse on the estate of Thomas Carroll, about two miles south of Milford, Del., took fire about midnight, and William Hopkins, 50 years old, and his little 5-year-old daughter perished in the flames. Hopkins three other children and his housekeeper escaped from the burning building.




Source: The New York Times, New York, NY




   
 

This Day in Carlisle History

Monday, September 1, 2014 

Archived records as well as numerous articles from previous editions of the Milford Chronicle recognized the annual fireman’s parade and carnival as the primary fund raising event held each year in September to benefit the volunteer fire company. The circus arrived via the railroad and exotic animals were paraded down “Main Street” to generate enthusiasm for the carnival normally held at the baseball park on Southeast Fourth and Montgomery Streets.  The picture to the left details the annual parade of the circus and the picture to the right is the first piece of motorized apparatus purchased in 1916 along with the first recorded purchase of Dress Uniforms for the Department.  The annual parade and circus occurred over a thirty year period.  Over that time period proceeds accounted for additional equipment purchases as well as the construction of the “Community Building and Firehouse” located at Church and Southeast Front Streets.





Sources: Carlisle Archives, Milford Chronicle





     

 
 
 

Search for news stories :

Select Year Select Month
Select Category Enter Keyword